RE: [K12OSN] sendmail and localhost.localdomain

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 09:08, Doug Simpson wrote:
> This didn;t work.  I still get the localhost.localdomain thing and the
> mail won't go.
>
> Anything else?

    Make sure that there's an entry in /etc/hosts that calls out
localhost.localdomain (only) and it must have the 127.0.0.1 for it.

    Then make sure you've 'called out' the IP address for any other
interfaces you have, like:

127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain  localhost
192.168.1.14     sparky.kamakiriad.local   sparky

    This declares the '1.14 number to be an internal (.local) address.
I use the .local nomenclature for addresses on the inside,
behind-the-firewall addresses which **aren't** an outside address. It's
wrong to call it, say, sparky.kamakiriad.com, because it's not.  This is
a problem no one seems to teach about, for some reason.

    THEN, all you have to do is make sure you've set up the daemon
properly in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA

    This way, it accepts mail from anyplace, not just the localhost,
which is probably they way you have it set up now. (That's the way it
ships).

    BUT DON'T EDIT THE sendmail.cf file!

    A lot of people do this; I did, too.  But I didn't realize that the
.cf file is the result of a compilation of sorts. If you make changes
here, you could wind up with a weird set of problems with no way to
understand them.  Trust me on this.

    Instead, edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, where it looks like:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA')

    ...and when it looks this way, (and made any other changes) you
'compile' it with: m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. If
you forget, it's at the top of the sendmail.mc file for memory-jogging.

    I'm no sendmail god; I've just worked this out from years of
experience with Redhat's sendmail, which seems to work rather well,
compared to building from a tarball.

    OH: save yourself some trouble. Even if your mail machine is getting
the mail requests forwarded by the router, make sure the domain you're
masquerading-as is set up like this in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:

Cwkamakiriad.com

    ...on the last line.  This should help; if it doens't, I'm right
here.

    Cheers!

ICQ  5119262