RE: [K12OSN] Accelerated Reader - Crossover Office?

Does it work with wine, or does it require crossover office?

-Jeff

At 11:37 AM 7/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I have it running and can use the sample data.  I just cannot change the
data path to point to the real data on our network.  The drives are mounted
and the data is there.

Where are the AR files installed and can we configure a text file to point
to the database?

Jim Hays, Technology Director
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive
Monticello, IL  61856
haysja sages us
Phone - 217-762-8511 ext 208
E-Fax - 1-240-201-6257

-----Original Message----- From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf Of Jeff Davis Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 11:06 AM To: k12osn redhat com Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Accelerated Reader - Crossover Office?

This is something we should try to address, as Renaissance seems unable or
unwilling to deal with this.  I too have been for the most part
unsuccessful at getting AR, StarREAD, etc to run under X, and this is
probably the biggest roadblock I have to deploying LTSP.  Yeah the AR and
STAR security model is a complete joke (I'd love some quality time alone in
a room, no witnesses, with the moron who designed that piece of cr^p), but
the teachers love it, and taking it away would be political suicide.

Ideally some kind of rpm or easy to run setup script to tweak wine, copy
the appropriate files from the data directory, and handle mounting the data
directory.  I would be happy to work with anyone interested in developing
and packaging this as a solution.

Of course, if anyone has already solved this and has this working, please
share with the rest of us.  It would probably open the floodgates for
districts waiting to at least try linux desktops.

Thanks,

-Jeff

At 08:24 AM 7/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I am installing a K12LTSP lab in our new middle school media center.  I
need
>to be able to run Accelerated Reader in this lab.  Is Crossover Office the
>best way to do this?
>
>Is anyone using Crossover Office for the purpose of running AR?  How did
you
>license it?  Do I need a "server" license or do I buy individual licenses
>for the number of clients?

>Jim Hays, Technology Director
>Monticello CUSD#25
>#2 Sage Drive
>Monticello, IL  61856
>haysja sages us
>Phone - 217-762-8511 ext 208
>E-Fax - 1-240-201-6257

Jefferson K. Davis
Technology and Information Systems Manager
Standard School District
1200 North Chester Ave
Bakersfield, CA  93308
USA