Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Eric Harrison wrote:

> The best idea I have so far is to create a package (maybe named something
> like "privacy_violator" ;-) that added an anacron job that ran once a
> month which did something like "wget -q http://k12ltsp.org/I_USE_K12LTSP";
> That would leave a log entry in the K12LTSP.org web server logs that
> looked like this:
>
> 12.34.56.78 - - [02/Jul/2003:19:11:43 -0700] "GET /I_USE_K12LTSP HTTP/1.0" 200 0
>
> where "12.34.56.78" would be the IP address of the server (or the address of
> the NAT server).
>
> This would give us a general idea of how many K12LTSP servers are in use
> while revealing as little information as possible (the IP address). It
> would also be very easy to disable.
>
> What you all think? Does anyone have a better idea?  Is a small decrease
> in privacy worth greater influence on vendors to help support us and/or
> port their software?

I too am not crazy about violating privacy rights, but if it is
easy to disable, and the sysadmin knows about it, it seems like
it might help.

Another interesting piece of information would be to know how
many terminals are being served by that server.  Probably more
difficult to get that number, but it should still be possible.

And, if it was configurable, to allow the sysadmin to choose
between the following:

    send nothing
    send only the single GET request showing that the server is alive
    send the GET request along with a count of terminals

It just might help show the total count.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org