Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 23:06, Eric Harrison wrote:

> Thanks for the quick feed back Jim (and Jason ;-).

    What, you didn't like my suggestions?  :>

> How about this:
>
>   * the first time root logs in, have an app startup that asks something
>     like:
>
>        It helps us a great deal if we know how many LTSP servers are
>        in use and how they are used. Please select one of the following
>        options on how much summary information about your LTSP server
>        you would to provide for the cause:
>
>        [X] Acknowledge that this server exists, but nothing more
>        [ ] Provide basic information about this server (i.e. how many
>            terminals it supports, # CPUs, Ram)
>        [ ] Buzz off, I don't want any information revealed
>

>    * have a icon on root's desktop to re-run this app, should the admin
>      change their mind later (or their boss changes their mind, etc)
>
>    * have the app write the info in plain text to a file in /etc/sysconfig
>      named something like "k12ltsp-privacy-leak-data" or something blatantly
>      obvious like that
>
>    * have the monthly anacron script I suggested be a script that reads
>      the /etc/sysconfig/k12ltsp-privacy-leak-data file. Unless
>      "VIOLATE_MY_PRIVACY=YES" is set, it does nothing.
>
>    * if they select "Provide basic information", have it post some of
>      the more interesting but not-too-revealing information, such as
>      CPU info, amount of ram, # of uniq IP address that have NFS mounted
>      /opt/ltsp (or some other stat that would give an idea of how many
>      terminals are in use).

    It's only half the solution. This much, Microsoft lets you do...many
times without telling you...the full solution is to allow the choice
above, and then allow the sysadmin to SEE what's being sent.

    You'll find that the most stodgy of sysadmins will calm down when
they actually KNOW what's being sent, and can see the code that makes it
happen.  Keep it clear, keep it simple, and never EVER let the
off-switch allow it to keep sending.

    And as to the icons on the root desktop: EXCELLENT IDEA.  I've used
several parts of it several times and it's always been perfect.  And I
*love* the opportunity to push certain icons to the workstations.  It's
something I really needed when I was running just the LTSP alone.

    Superb!
ICQ  5119262