Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 00:02, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Eric Harrison wrote:
>
> > Ok, I crank out some same code to see if it works as well in practice
> > as it does in theory...
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> #	Check-in, but respect privacy
> #
> #	GPL v 2.0 or later
> #	info owlriver com
> #
> #	usage: ln -s /usr/local/bin/checkin /etc/cron.monthly/
> #

    I like it; all out in the open, not compiled and hid from view.

    Another idea: look at eth0 and get the mac address.  These are
supposed to be unique by vendor....it'd make a very random 'salt' to
start with.  And, since it's LTSP, there's always gonna be an eth0 in
use....right?

    (Until everyone's running fiber into the bathroom.  :)  )

ICQ  5119262