Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 23:43, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2003, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 23:06, Eric Harrison wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the quick feed back Jim (and Jason ;-).
> >
> >    What, you didn't like my suggestions?  :>
>
> You just type quicker than I do ;-)

    Yeah, that's what I figured; I was just razzin' ya.

    I don't know if you remember the beginnings of the microcomputer
age. But back then, when CP/M was still strong, several years before the
PC, it was an exciting and FUN age.  Every so often, a new device to
connect, a new WAY to connect...and it was only limited to your own
creativity.

    But now it's all about business. $40B in Bill's pocket, and $40B in
Microsoft's warchest and it's still not enough. They demand more and
return less.  The fun has been totally taken outta the job. It's been so
bad at times that I've actually considered changing careers.

    Linux has brought BACK that spirit of fun and exploration.  And in
that spirit, I try to keep things light...happy....fun.  So every once
in a while I challenge the gods of flamewars, and try to slip in
something that might bring a smile.

    OH: beware the Linux support company!  Once you get a handful of
clients you'll realize something hazardous: once installed and tuned to
the user's needs, you won't see a service call for a long, long time.
I've not had any billable hours in three months!  Just so ya know.

ICQ  5119262