Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 00:39, jam mcquil com wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2003, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>
> >     OH: beware the Linux support company!  Once you get a handful of
> > clients you'll realize something hazardous: once installed and tuned to
> > the user's needs, you won't see a service call for a long, long time.
> > I've not had any billable hours in three months!  Just so ya know.
>
> What, no monthly support contract, where they pay you whether they
> call or not ?

    Not until I get NEW customers, no...  :(  And if I get too bad-off,
I'll change-up for the old customers, too...

> Add some automated scripts so that their system sends you info,
> like disk usage, and alerts when something is not normal.
>
> Then, you send them an invoice with a nice report showing
> how their server has been running.
>
> This really can work.

    Yeah, these days I just watch the logs, sending snippets I think
they might understand...

    I have one customer that has a dynamic IP, but the rest I could
monitor with Tkined....or mrtg.  I'll see about that, tommorrow.  I'm
off to the food bank at 9AM. (No, not kidding!)

ICQ  5119262