Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 23:50, Steve Wright wrote:

Eric Harrison wrote:

One of the interesting problems we face when talking with vendors is that they ask for number of users. Since it's open source, we don't
really have any idea. We can tell them how many downloads we've had off
our servers, but not off the various mirrors, or how many have been
burned onto CDs and handed out, etc, etc.

<dumb question> Why do vendors want to know how many users ?

It counts the number of individuals that are using a given software. closed-source vendors use it to make more money where they can. Here, we really don't care. But it's useful to know.

   This should probably be something the SysAdmin should type in,
really...

ok. I must be thick or something.. 8-))

I see how this thing would work, and that the stats are interesting, but I don't grep why it is *useful*...

I am quite happy in my moment of confusion, however. 8-)

/steve