Re: twit] Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On 3 Jul 2003, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 00:02, R P Herrold wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Eric Harrison wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, I crank out some same code to see if it works as well in practice
> > > as it does in theory...
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > #
> > #	Check-in, but respect privacy
> > #
> > #	GPL v 2.0 or later
> > #	info owlriver com
> > #
> > #	usage: ln -s /usr/local/bin/checkin /etc/cron.monthly/
> > #
>
>     I like it; all out in the open, not compiled and hid from view.
>
>     Another idea: look at eth0 and get the mac address.  These are
> supposed to be unique by vendor....it'd make a very random 'salt' to
> start with.  And, since it's LTSP, there's always gonna be an eth0 in
> use....right?

ummm -- the posted code identifies the interface used for the
default route, pulls out its MAC address, and then using the
salt,  does a one way hash to produce a non-reversible
unique key for privacy reasons. to avoid a pre-computed
reverse lookup.

-- R