Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On 3 Jul 2003, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 03:06, Steve Wright wrote:
>
> > >    It counts the number of individuals that are using a given software.
> > >closed-source vendors use it to make more money where they can.  Here,
> > >we really don't care.  But it's useful to know.
> > >
> > >    This should probably be something the SysAdmin should type in,
> > >really...
> > >

> > ok.  I must be thick or something..  8-))
> >
> > I see how this thing would work, and that the stats are interesting, but
> > I don't grep why it is *useful*...
> >
> > I am quite happy in my moment of confusion, however.  8-)
>
>     In the closed-source world it's critical to know, but here we just
> _want_ to know.  Consider a 1-user system, like the one I'm
> on...compared to the City of Largo, Florida: 4 HUNDRED users.
>
>     Without the census, it looks like there are only two instances of
> Linux being enjoyed, when the true count is 401.  Big difference, aye?
> It's not because we need it, we just want to know.
>
>     So I'd say it's something not useful, but desirable.  That's all.

The number of LTSP users is important to me.  I've been talking with
alot of media people lately, and every one of them asks me how
many users are out there.  My basic answer is:  "Umm, I dunno".
That's kind of a lame response.

If instead, I could answer something like:

   Well, it's rather hard to count, but we do have some counters in
   place that say we have at least 50,000 installations, serving
   600,000 users world wide.

Well, that is something they can print in their magazines.

Which makes me think, one of the items we should try to collect is
a country code, or some way of knowing roughly where these folks
are located.  Maybe that was already suggested, I don't remember.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org