Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

With application vendors, and I think that's who Eric was referring to, they just want to know the potential market. For example, imagine this conversation:

Us: Could you port your Accelerated Reader to Linux? We have many schools that would like to run it on that platform.
Vendor: Really? How many schools?
Us: Our numbers indicate a minimum of 300 to 400 schools, with an average of 40 users per school
Vendor: (quickly does the math as to how many licenses they could sell, eyes pop open wide) Sure, we'll get right on it!

vs.

Us: Could you port your Accelerated Reader to Linux? We have many schools that would like to run it on that platform.
Vendor: Really? How many schools?
Us: Uh, well, we don't really know, but it's a lot...
Vendor: Well, how do I figure out if it's there are enough Linux users out there to make it worth my while to do the port?

Granted, we're doing their market research for them, but since what we really want are many apps, proprietary and OSS, and since there are some proprietary apps that several people have said they can't live without, having numbers makes convincing the vendors easier.

Petre