RE: [K12OSN] Accelerated Reader - Crossover Office?

I can now run AR on K12LTSP using data that is stored on a Windows 2000
server!!!  A MAJOR step for me.

I fixed this part of the problem this morning.  When you mount the Windows
share with samba, you only get read access for the guest user - no matter
what you have for the permissions on the Linux directory.  Here is how I
solved it:

Suppose the AR data is at //server/ar
You want to mount to /usr/ar
There is a user on the windows computer named windowsuser
The windowsuserpassword is windowspassord.

Also suppose that everyone has full access to //server/ar
And that everyone has full access to /usr/ar  (chmod 777 /usr/ar)

The key is in how the share is mounted.

Try this:

Mount -t smbfs -o
username=windowsuser,password=windowspassword,dmask=777,fmask=777
//server/ar /usr/ar

Now run AR and tell the program that the data is in Z:/usr/ar/ALSData (You
do have to select one of the files in this directory - don't know why - but
it worked for me.)

I still have a couple things to iron out.

1 - I still can't run the management program from K12LTSP.
2 - I am having trouble mounting the share as a user other than root. 3 - I
am having trouble placing this mount command in /etc/fstab so the AR drive
will be mounted all the time.  (The computer will not boot when I try to put
this mount in /etc/fstab

Please let me know if this helps any of you.  The key was discovering the
dmask and fmask settings for the mount command.  The errors we were getting
had to do with no write permissions on the samba share.

Hope this helps.