Re: [K12OSN] Privacy vs vendor support

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:53:02AM -0400, Access Systems wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Eric Harrison wrote:
> > > One of the interesting problems we face when talking with vendors is
> > > that they ask for number of users. Since it's open source, we don't
> > > really have any idea. We can tell them how many downloads we've had off
> >
> > In my "real" job I have to do a lot of statistical modeling,  with a few
> > samples and regular proving of the sampling we could probably be just as
>
> Or even more accurate since they often base their analysis on what the
> vendors "say" they are selling.  :-)

for sure always use the most advantagous numbers (we'll do the same too)

> > > We can see how many people are on the K12OSN list (850 last time I checked).
> > > We can see how many sites are syncing to the SquidGuard web filter black
> > > lists (~2,500). But we don't really know that the installed base of K12LTSP
> > > happens to be.
> >
> > if we know from 8 folks who give us some very detailed information that
> > each list user z (850) has an average of x servers (3) and each server

etc

> > start by asking the list to volunteer raw numbers. then extrapolate that
> > out to the whole list and go from there..
>
> The points about calculations and extrapolation above are excellent.
> In fact I can attest to the fact that market research firms such as IDC,
>
> I'd be happy to keep a running count and do some analysis of the
> numbers if anyone wants to post their information.  You can post it to
> the list or if you desire confidentiality send it to me off-list.
>
> I'll post the summary info to the list. (and access systems can
> do a technical review :-) )

duh, I knew as soon as I opened my big mouth someone would stick work into
it....;8*}   sure...no problem

> Any info I receive off-list will be kept private. Also - Please don't
> restrict this information to just K12LTSP installs.  Any site using
> Linux, BSD or any form of UNIX add to the market potential for
> vendors like AR.

good point, we use Linux in the office

> What other items should we look at?  Amounts of money each site
> saved?  Expected budget reductions putting financial pressure on
> paying for annual MS license renewals. (MS is moving to annual fees for
> ALL their licensing. )

major shortcommings, what your wants are.
what worked better than expected (give the kudo's to those that are coming
thru with stuff)

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys smartnospam net