Re: [K12OSN] Printer config?

Brad, the correct config is below your mesage. julius

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Brad Mills wrote:
>  Need assist (sigh) with configuring a printer. Snip is below  ...
>  Printer is an HP deskjet 930c; attatched to ws002 which has Win98 installed
> .. if booted from HDD, 98 picks up the printer, ready to install, so that
> tells me the hdwr end is ok. Using IEEE 1284 cable; seems to be a (newbie)
> config problem. Dug back thru my manuals, nothing real specific found.
>
>  On the K12LTSP server, I've set it as a 'jet direct' on 192.168.0.2, which
> reflects the assigned IP of ws002 ... when attempting to print from the server,
> it shoots out the print job to netherland, and clears the que. However, nothing
> happens at ws002. My likely culprit is not understanding the correct
> /dev/ttyXX; what would be the correct sett for a parallel printer? As well, any
> restrictions printing this way, logged in as root on server, and user on ws002?
>  When logging in server as a user, trying to print from say, Mozilla, the only
> option shown is to print a .ps to /home/username. Perhaps theres' a Fine Manual
> on printer config I'm unaware of?
>
>  You folks are wonderful! ;)
>
> [ws002]    #tb_98
>         XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
>         LOCAL_APPS         = N
>         USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
>         SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 48m
>         RUNLEVEL           = 5
>     PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/ttyS3  #S1 #S2 #P1?
>     PRINTER_0_TYPE     = P              # P-Parallel, S-Serial
>     PRINTER_0_PORT     = 9100           # tcp/ip port: defaults to 9100
>     PRINTER_0_SPEED    = 9600           # baud rate: defaults to 9600
>     PRINTER_0_FLOWCTRL = S              # Flow control: S-Software (XON/XOFF),
> #                                        # H-Hardware (CTS/RTS)
>     PRINTER_0_PARITY   = N              # Parity: N-None, E-Even, O-Odd
> #                                        # (defaults to 'N')
>     PRINTER_0_DATABITS = 8              # Databits: 5,6,7,8 (defaults to 8)

see the differences, especially things that are *not* there:
[ws002]    #tb_98
         XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
         LOCAL_APPS         = N
         RUNLEVEL           = 5
     PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/lp0
     PRINTER_0_TYPE     = P              # P-Parallel, S-Serial
#that's all and it works like a charm