[K12OSN] OSDL/Linus report

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Eric Harrison wrote:

>Linus' new boss, Tim Witham (director of the OSDL), is talking at
>Portland State University tonight. I'll report back about what he
>has to say about Linus working for the OSDL ;-)

Okay, here's the scoop.

Tim says that the terms of Linus working for the OSDL is an HR matter,
and he considers HR matters to be private. He basically said it was
a natural fit and beneficial to all of the parties involved, so it just
sort of fell in place.

A few details he provided are already pretty well-known:

1) Linus has had his fill of bad weather, he wants sun shine. As such he
   will not be moving to Portland.

2) Linus hates speaking in public, as such even if he does visit Portland
   we should not expect that he would come to the local LUG meetings.

Tim and I did have a long conversation about how the OSDL can help
those of us using Open Source in schools. Hopefully we'll be able to
come up with something that is a natural fit and beneficial to all of
the parties involved ;-)

-Eric