Re: [K12OSN] Access to K12LTSP remotely

Stephen,

> I am a late comer joining this discussion and have following questions;
>
> 1) If K12LTSP is connected to broadband with dynamic IP can the
> workstations connect it and how? (if the dynamic IP changes at X-hour
> interval)

 Likely the best for this situation would be using, say, no-ip.com. Essentially
puts a bug in a machine on the lan, and it will pulse no-ip at whatever
interval you select. When away from the home lan, you'd log in at no-ip, get
the IP of the bug, and SSH into it. I played with Tight VNC over SSH and a pair
of dial-up connections. Worked a treat ;)

> 2) Can thin client be used as workstation? (with broadband or 56K modem
> connection)

 Yes, that's what LTSP is all about, using a thin client as a workstation. At
the moment, we've only done up a server on it's lan, 2 clients. Therese connect
via 2nd NIC to main lan hub, then routes thru firewall to internet. Pretty neat
stuff, so far.
 I think perhaps you're wondering about a thin client at a *remote* location?
That's potentially available, but as a minimum you'd have to have a server at
the remote location ... in this case, it might be as well to use a SSH tunnel,
between say, your laptop, and the home lan server.

 cheers,
 /b