Re: [K12OSN] Access to K12LTSP remotely

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 18:25, Les Bell wrote:
> Steve Wright <paua quicksilver net nz> wrote:
>

> This is foolish talk.  You MUST secure X over the internet - period
> <<
>
> Oh, dear me. There is no law that says that you MUST secure X over the
> Internet. To say there is, is foolish. Most people on this list are free to
> make their own assessment of the risks, and the vast majority will take the
> sensible and prudent course of encrypting traffic for X as well as
> protocols which pass passwords or other sensitive data as plaintext.

    Well, there's conversely no law that says you need to have a
firewall 'facing the open sea', but would you set up a customer without
one?

    X is insecure. An encrypted tunnel of some sort is always a good
idea if you "have to" do this.  But most times I've seen that a
webserver app can nullify the need for this.  Remember that X on
10-base-T is crowded bandwidth; encrypting makes it only worse.  Do yeah
REALLY need to expose the Xserver to the public?

ICQ  5119262