Re: [K12OSN] Access to K12LTSP remotely

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your advice.

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 00:37, Chris Thomas wrote:
> I can answer #1. Just use a service that gives you a
> static domain name or static host name. Then you never
> use the server's dynamic IP address. You use the host
> name or domain name.

Sorry, could you please explain in more detail (I focuse my discussion
on K12LTSP without domain name).  The broadband provider only gives a
dynamic IP which will change at X-hour internal.  It happens on K12LTSP
as well as fat-client sides.  If the K12LTSP or the fat-client relogin
another dynamic IP address will be assigned.  Say for example;

Dynamic IP address of K12LTSP = aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa

Shall I issue following commands on fat-client side

1) ssh -X user aaa aaa aaa aaa
2) application &

How about after X-hours the IP address of K12LTSP changes to
bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb ???  Then the connection will be broken.  Also what will
happen if the fat-client changes its IP address.

> Dyndns is the best example. If
> you want a free account, you get a static host name
> so, it keeps track of your dynamic ip address but you
> can always find it by pointing to the static host
> name. for example: mycomp.dyndns.org is static but the
> IP address can change. I think Dyndns charges for
> static domain names.
>
> Here are a few sites to check out (not all free):
>
> http://www.dyndns.org
>
> http://www.tzo.com
>
> http://www.no-ip.com

Noted with thanks.  If I understand it correctly, to have the K12LTSP
registered a domain name first and then further register it on any one
of those websites mentioned above.

B.Regards
Stephen