Re: [K12OSN] Scantron-like OS software

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 04:58, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> OK. Let me rephrase my question, since I apparently didn't express it
> correctly.
>
> Does anyone know of software that will take a scanned image of a bubble
> sheet in any format and return, again in any format, the contents of
> that bubble sheet. I'm looking for something that would let me scan
> student papers on a cheap scanner and then tell me their
> answers/grades/whatever.

<snip>

Why not forget the wonders of technology and just do what savvy teachers
did in days of yore - have an overlay sheet that had cutouts where the correct
answer bubble would show through against each question?  That is, when no
filled bubble shows through the cutout overlay the student has got the wrong
answer.  I reckon that unless you had 1000s of answer sheets the time spent
would not be too much different by hand compared with scanning and computing.

Sorry if that answer sounds patronising, but I reckon some things can best
be done the old-fashioned way, still ;-)

Gavin