Re: [K12OSN] Access to K12LTSP remotely

Stephen,

 (snips)
> Thanks for your advice.

 Hope it's useful; much good info on this list, indeed. I am a newbie -

> 1) A student only has a Win machine at home which can be connected to
> Internet via broadband or 56K modem

 Ok, now he'll need some server to dial into, correct? I'm certain there's a method
to dialin + login remotely to your LTSP, but securely? I don't know. Now more than 1
student needs access ... more modems? More phone line$?

 Else, his ISP --> www --> server that can allow an SSH session ... as stated in a
different post, tight VNC can do this over SSH, but it will be slow. Now you must
examine the ability of the student to use a CLI terminal ... bandwidth, all sorts of
factors come into play. I truly do not know a method to do this efficiently and
securely, using a 56k. I have a foggy idea this would be great using 'Ice" WM, but
watching other threads seems to be a bit difficult to get the efficient and secure
factors lined up. Perhaps a server could be set up on a DMZ whereas a student could
download and upload files would work, provided that server has enough 'pipe' to
handle multiple requests.

> 2) A student only has a thin client (diskless workstation) at home

 OK, he boots ... where does he get connected to the LTSP, as the floppy will seek a
DHCP. Again, a SSH remote session would seem logical, but (as I understand it) a
thin client won't be able to do this. I wonder (aloud) if using, say, (thin client
w/128 Megs RAM) Knoppix live file system on a bootable CD would be a reasonable
method, as the student would have a GUI to work with, but now remotely, securely,
efficiently accessing again comes into play. And again, we're back to 'reasonably'
efficient and secure.

 I am listening as well, trying to see what all is involved with securing X across
the 'net, and so forthe ... hopefully we'll learn together.

 cheers,
 /b