Re: [K12OSN] Memory and K12LTSP kernel ?

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 16:38, Les Bell wrote:
> Brian Fahrlander <kilroy kamakiriad com> wrote:
>

> Can't you apt-get an older kernel version, remove the current one,
> then reload the 'bigmem' kernel and reboot from there?  Sure, while you
> make the change you're on a slightly older kernel, but that shouldn't be
> a problem...right?
> <<
>
> It might be do-able that way, Brian. The concern I have is loading any
> required libraries while executing the RPM commands, when there's no
> /lib/modules/2.4.20.* there. I think the longer way round is a little
> safer.

    Well not really: you load the old version, boot it, load the new
target kernel, boot it, then later throw away the old one.

    I'm not talking about a vast difference in the kernels- just one
minor sub-rev will convince RPM/Apt/etc.  And anything need with the
kernels will be added at apt-time.

    ...and...I've done it before.  :)

ICQ  5119262