Re: [K12OSN] Access to K12LTSP remotely

Hi, Les Bell,

Thanks for your advice

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 13:16, Les Bell wrote:
> - snip -
>
> Stephen, the problem is not so much a technical one as a marketing/people
> one. The ISP knows that by changing the IP address of your machine (the
> K12LTSP box in this case) your connections will be broken. That's *why*
> they do it. I'll bet they also offer a higher-priced service that offers a
> static, unchanging IP address, and if you want to run servers that's the
> one they want you to use.
>
> A lot depends on the value of 'X' in your description above. If it's one
> hour, then the ISP has got you over a barrel. If it's 672, then the address
> changes once a month, and you might be able to live with that, considering
> it a minor disruption. In practice, most users of ADSL and similar
> broadband services typically find that their IP address does not change
> particularly frequently - in some cases, only when the ADSL modem is
> recycled, or every few months otherwise.

Yes, that is true.  I use ADSL modem.  Most time on rebooting the PC the
IP address remains unchanged.  According to service condition only
dynamic IP address will be provided and it will changed automatically at
6-hour interval.  But I don't recognize its change at all.

> The advice gave Chris gave you to investigate dyndns, etc. is good. This
> will deal with the problem of the IP address of the K12LTSP box changing,
> as the dynamic DNS will update to the correct value immediately.

If a student is downloading a file from K12LTSP will the link break at
time of update?

> Of course,
> this depends upon the IP address being allocated to an interface on the
> K12LTSP box, and not to the external interface of your broadband modem.
> This is the case if you are running PPPoE, for example, and the modem is
> configured as a bridge, but not necessarily if the ADSL connection is PPPoA
> (PPP over ATM). In the latter case, the modem will get a new address, and
> your K12LTSP box will be unaware of it, so that it will not run the
> required script to update the dynamic DNS.
>
> For some understanding of the issues involved, and another approach to
> implementing dynamic DNS, see this article I wrote some time ago:
>
> http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/3f0a77f02a05e665ca256bee00104c74?OpenDocument

Noted with thanks

B.Regards
Stephen