Re: [K12OSN] Samba Problem

jam mcquil com wrote:
On 8 Jul 2003, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 22:57, Eric Harrison wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, James Jensen wrote:

--- Julius Szelagiewicz <julius turtle com> wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Daniel Loomis wrote:

I thought I was fairly knowledgable about Samba, but I have a situation
that has me stumped.  I recently added a third NIC to our k12ltsp

server

(running 3.1.0) to connect an upstairs classroom at the church.  It is
on eth2 with address 192.168.2.254.  DHCP is giving out addresses for
that subnet in the range of 192.168.2.50-99.  The dhcpd.conf setting is
identical to that being used on subnet 192.168.1.0 except for the

subnet address.

Just so you guys don't miss it- there's something fun you can do when you get your samba worked out. Look for "Linneighborhood", it's available painlessly on RPM.

   With it, you can mount remote (less evolved) machines to your home
directory.  Then you can use Nautilus or your favorite file-browser you
can do all sorts of things with a minimum of fuss.

And while you're cheesing over how easy this thing makes it for you,
know that it also comes with tools to mount them remotely (I believe it
relies mostly on the Samba package, actually) and you'll be able to
write scripts that can do backups of important files on other machines. It's very handy!

Hmm, kinda makes me wonder what it would be like if we ran Samba
as a local app, setup to share the floppy and cdrom.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

Is it possible to access the cdrom drive that is in the client, similar to how we can access the floppy drive? I haven't been able to figure this one out. Or is that what Jim was leading to?

Petre