[K12OSN] cost savings of Linux relative to M$ School License Agreement

Hi all,

I would like to be able to show the Supt & Asst Supt's the cost savings we've realized by using linux on all our servers.

The matrix below is my estimate of the M$ software licenses we would need under the school license agreement in order to provide the same functionality we have right now. As I understand it this is an annual cost, but I would like to know for certain.

At the moment we subscribe to rhn at a cost of about $2400/year

We currently have the following services running on our internal servers:

ldap
samba
netatalk
dhcp
smtp
imap
nfs
ntp
http
https
ssh
ftp
database (postgreSQL)
and I'm sure I've left a few out.

We have 5 locations, consisting of 4 schools and one district office. each school has a 2 servers, one providing file and print services, the other providing backend services such as dns, dhcp, ldap, smtp, imap, etc. The district has 4 servers, one providing all the aforementioned services, one providing calendaring via meetingmaker, one as a firewall/gateway, and one more as the district web server.

We have about 850 workstations running everything from MacOS 7.6.1-9.2.x to win95-win2kpro. Most of these machines have some flavor of M$ Office.

Here's the matrix I came up with. Please feel free to make corrections.

Product Qty Unit Extended
Desktop Package 850 $48.00 $40,800.00
(Includes Office, Core CAL & Windows Upgrades)
SQL ServerTM CAL 850 $5.00 $4,250.00
Publisher 850 $2.00 $1,700.00
Exchange Server Enterprise Edition 5 $580.00 $2,900.00
SQL ServerTM Enterprise Edition 6 $4,212.00 $25,272.00
(1 Processor License)
Systems Management Server 1 $51.00 $51.00
Windows® Advanced Server 14 $212.00 $2,968.00
Estimated Institution Total $77,941.00

Thanks,

-Jeff

Jefferson K. Davis Technology and Information Systems Manager Standard School District 1200 North Chester Ave Bakersfield, CA 93308 USA 661-392-2110 ext 120