RE: [K12OSN] cost savings of Linux relative to M$ School License Agreement

I am not Terribly familiar with the Microsoft education licensing scheme.
However there are a couple of Software areas which need to be addressed for
Microsoft clients/servers.  The first is virus protection, at the client end
and probably on the exchange server as well if possible. The second is
firewall/proxy software for the gateway machine.

You might need to review the CAL requirements as well.

Additional value added issues:
- The time used in managing these assets. (apt-get VS criticalupdate -
service pack - reboot)
- The added advantage to students, parents and teachers that the linux based
software is largely under the GPL license and can there fore be affordably
and legally used in the home environment at a dramatic cost savings.
- Resource availability - Although Windows 2000 server is much more stable
than NT 4.0, Linux still beats it hands down for uptime and availability in
my experience.
- Resource usage - in general, you can run more daemon type services on a
single linux server than on a comparable windows server.  Running
Sendmail/Imap, PostgreSQL, etc on one linux server will be fairly happy,
running Exchange server and MS SQL server on the same machine will use a lot
of horsepower.

I know that non of the above are easy to calculate in terms of dollars and
cents, but they do add value to the Linux side of the equation.

my $0.02

Paul