RE: [K12OSN] cost savings of Linux relative to M$ School LicenseAgreement

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 13:53, Paul Davison wrote:
> I am not Terribly familiar with the Microsoft education licensing scheme.
> However there are a couple of Software areas which need to be addressed for
> Microsoft clients/servers.  The first is virus protection, at the client end
> and probably on the exchange server as well if possible. The second is
> firewall/proxy software for the gateway machine.
>
> You might need to review the CAL requirements as well.
>
> Additional value added issues:
> - The time used in managing these assets. (apt-get VS criticalupdate -
> service pack - reboot)
> - The added advantage to students, parents and teachers that the linux based
> software is largely under the GPL license and can there fore be affordably
> and legally used in the home environment at a dramatic cost savings.
> - Resource availability - Although Windows 2000 server is much more stable
> than NT 4.0, Linux still beats it hands down for uptime and availability in
> my experience.
> - Resource usage - in general, you can run more daemon type services on a
> single linux server than on a comparable windows server.  Running
> Sendmail/Imap, PostgreSQL, etc on one linux server will be fairly happy,
> running Exchange server and MS SQL server on the same machine will use a lot
> of horsepower.
>
> I know that non of the above are easy to calculate in terms of dollars and
> cents, but they do add value to the Linux side of the equation.
>
> my $0.02

    Make it $.04:

    Even if Microsoft PAID you to install the first round of OS, main
apps, etc., there's one thing to remember this:  Once you sign on with
them, you'll be buying their apps, full price.  Worse yet, you crank out
new students that think the Microsoft is the only thing out there. And
that means they'll have a PC at work, and a PC at home, and thanks to
XP, both will be legal copies, or they'll become useless machines.

    And I'll admit it; I want Linux in the schools NOT just because it
provides more power for less money and higher reliability and freedom
from the shackles of mega-corporate America, but because it allows
students to see there's another, simpler, more-right way to compute.

    In my eyes, if you sleep with the dog, you'll get fleas. Just like
when Shell Oil 'owned' America and was about to be broken up on monopoly
charges, Microsoft sits there awaiting their fate, bathing in their
money. I hope I live long enough to see them relegated to becoming a
unit of the Apple company, not the other way around.

ICQ  5119262