Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] cost savings of Linux relative to M$School License Agreement

> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 18:59, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> BTW, anyone having any luck convincing your wintel users to try
>> openoffice,
>> esp those that already have M$ Office?
>>
> Sadly our staff will be upgraded to Office XP because our
> administrative and fund raising software (Blackbaud) requires Office
> 2000 or Office XP.

Hehe...that should be named "blackballed". There really hasn't been much
convincing necessary here. :-) Our district had office 2000 on over half
the machines and we didn't own 50 licenses max. So the unlicensed software
had to come off. Folks were cranky. We gave them two options since the
administration wouldn't buy any licenses (which I couldn't see spending
all that money for myself). They could have open office or nothing at all.
They've dealt with it quite well in the end. The biggest pain is people
still click save and OO saves stuff in it's sxw format by default. Then
it's all screwed when they take it to an Office machine. We recently
purchased 30 licenses of Office XP but we did that because we got a grant
for it. Anyway, our main office suite here is OO other than our
administration and a business lab. An added benefit to OO is it runs on
linux too. This makes for a more seemless migration in the future to linux
on the desktop.....or expanding ltsp.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+
Network Administrator