Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] cost savings of Linux relative to M$SchoolLicense Agreement

Jeff Kinz wrote:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:37:30AM -0500, cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:

Umm, maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just change the
default so that OO saves in MS format by default?  It's what I've done
for the folks that I've set up with OO.  I figured it was easier than
explaining to them the need to convert when they want to share files.

Okay I'll bite, so I wanna do this for all the users, whats the option and in which file do I change it /etc/openoffice/?

Martin Stevens

I don't know if this was directed to me originally, but nonetheless it still applies to me. How can I do this in windows? And is there a modified OO package I can download? I hate having to install a suite on a machine and then go in and modify stuff.

Using the Word-like menu structure to change the default file format: Tools\Options\Load-Save\General\Standard file format\. Here choose Document Type: Text Document and Always save as: Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP. OOo will warn you that losing some formatting is possible when using complex OOo features.

This will work for individual users, but can it be changed system-wide so each user doesn't have to make this change?

Petre