Re: [K12OSN] Off Topic: angled server

> But, I seriously doubt that you will cause any additional wear
> and tear.

Here's our answer:

 Can you tell me how to mount a hard drive upside down?

Reader: I am attempting to mount a hard drive upside down. So far, I've
been unable to find information about doing this successfully. I even
checked your book, but couldn't find information there either. Can you
tell me how to mount a drive upside down?

Scott: My book does indeed have info on drive mounting in the hard disk
chapter! What I state (the truth) is that virtually all modern drives can
be mounted in any position, which is why you can't find any info from WD
for example, it isn't an issue. However there were some older drives for
which specifically mounting on end (tail up or tail down) was prohibited,
while any other vertical (sideways) or horizontal (either side up) was
fine. Some older drives also prohibited any mountings on an angle, only
true vertical or horizontal alignments were allowed. The bottom line: if
there are any mounting limitations on a particular drive, the tech manual
for the drive will always list them, and no drive that I am aware of EVER
prohibited upside down mounting, nor would running it either side up
affect drive operation in any way. In fact that brings up the question,
which side do you think is really UP anyway? In any given drive,
approximately half of the heads are always upside down.

So....old drives used to have issues with this.......most drives now days
you can mount anyway.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+
Network Administrator