[K12OSN] ldap help requested

I hope I'm not off-topic, but I'm goin' nuts with this, and could really use
your help:

I'm trying to set up ldap on a Mandrake 8.2 box.  I've successfully
installed ldap, and get back the results I expect when I do an "ldapsearch
-x -b 'dc=mydomain,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'".  But when i go to add
base.ldif to the database with "ldapadd -x -D "cn=root,dc=example,dc=com" -W
-f base.ldif", the error "ldap_add: insufficient access" is returned.  I've
looked at file and directory permissions, etc., etc., but can't uncover what
the problems is.  ARRRRGH!

Can anybody help me out?