From: Brian Fahrlander [mailto:kilroy kamakiriad com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 13:26
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] ldap help requested

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 11:42, IT wrote:
> I hope I'm not off-topic, but I'm goin' nuts with this, and could really
use
> your help:
>
> I'm trying to set up ldap on a Mandrake 8.2 box.  I've successfully
> installed ldap, and get back the results I expect when I do an "ldapsearch
> -x -b 'dc=mydomain,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'".  But when i go to add
> base.ldif to the database with "ldapadd -x -D "cn=root,dc=example,dc=com"
-W
> -f base.ldif", the error "ldap_add: insufficient access" is returned.
I've
> looked at file and directory permissions, etc., etc., but can't uncover
what
> the problems is.  ARRRRGH!
>
> Can anybody help me out?

    I'm by NO means an ldap expert. When I read the chapters of alphabet
soup that passes for documentation, and learn that Evolution, Outlook,
and SquirrelMail seem to have no one schema that works with'em all, my
eyes glaze over and I daydream of a simpler time...a time with Frank
Sinatra singing 'Moon River'.  :)

    But this tool has helped: "DirectoryAdministrator". It comes on RPM,
though I don't remember seeing it in any of the apt repos. If you must,
you can always find it on rpmfind.net.

    It's surprisingly simple, with a place to store all the connection
information, so you can just hit the button and connect.  Then it'll
offer you  nice, clean access to the database and when the permissions
are correct, you can update things as simply as filling out a form and
pressing "save".

    This is a really nice tool.  And if you want help figuring out the
permission scheme, let me know- mine works, so we'll have something to
work from.

    I just wish I could understand the thousands of options and
modifiers that make up the schema...then I could use Evolution's
auto-lookup and grab addresses from there.

ICQ  5119262