Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] cost savings of Linux relative to M$School License Agreement

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:55:43PM -0700, Gustav Kramer wrote:

Hi Gustav!  Please don't top post.  it screws up the flow of the dialog for
people reading after, especially in the archives.

> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 07:24, Petre Scheie wrote:
> > Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > > Using the Word-like menu structure to change the default file format:
> > > Tools\Options\Load-Save\General\Standard file format\. Here choose
> > > Document Type: Text Document and Always save as: Microsoft Word
> > > 97/2000/XP.  OOo will warn you that losing some formatting is possible
> > > when using complex OOo features.
> > >
> > This will work for individual users, but can it be changed system-wide
> > so each user doesn't have to make this change?

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:55:43PM -0700, Gustav Kramer wrote:
> Short answer - For LTSP served thin clients: Yes;  for stand alone
> installations: Dunno!
>

> Long answer - When I've installed OO (apart from the K12LTSP
> installation) it has been on stand alone machines running Windows and I
> configured it manually after installation.  That said with the K12LTSP
> installation I changed the default as described below (as root) and for
> all other users (including new ones) the new defaults held.  As far as
> the standalone installations, I suspect there may not be any modified
> packages around but if one could establish exactly which file changes as
> a result of the configuration change it may be possible to swap it out
> for a modified one post installation, an extra step, I know, but perhaps
> not as onerous as opening up OO and drilling down for each application.

The following script sets up file associations for all the OpenOffice
modes (writer, calc, impress etc..) to use MS-Office style documents
as their standard default.  It set up a large number of file associations
in the MS-way and it does it to the system-wide associations list so
it sets it for all user's in one shot.

This is an excellent way to go for environments which have both MS and
Linux.

#!/bin/sh

# this script changes the default formats to .doc/.xls/.ppt rather than the
# native OpenOffice.org formats. Yes, that's ugly - but it makes a huge
# difference in the integration of OOo into MS dominate environments.

FILE="/usr/lib/openoffice/share/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/TypeDetection.xml"

[ -f $FILE ] || exit

perl -i.ltsp -p -e "
	s/5,calc_MS_Excel_97,com.sun.star.sheet.SpreadsheetDocument,,3,,0,,/5,calc_MS_Excel_97,com.sun.star.sheet.SpreadsheetDocument,,259,,0,,/;
	s/1,calc_StarOffice_XML_Calc,com.sun.star.sheet.SpreadsheetDocument,,295,,6200,,/1,calc_StarOffice_XML_Calc,com.sun.star.sheet.SpreadsheetDocument,,39,,6200,,/;
	s/3,impress_MS_PowerPoint_97,com.sun.star.presentation.PresentationDocument,,67,emp,0,,/3,impress_MS_PowerPoint_97,com.sun.star.presentation.PresentationDocument,,323,emp,0,,/;
	s/3,writer_MS_Word_97,com.sun.star.text.TextDocument,,67,CWW8,0,,/3,writer_MS_Word_97,com.sun.star.text.TextDocument,,323,CWW8,0,,/;
	s/1,writer_StarOffice_XML_Writer,com.sun.star.text.TextDocument,,268435751,CXML,6200,,/1,writer_StarOffice_XML_Writer,com.sun.star.text.TextDocument,,268435495,CXML,6200,,/;
" $FILE

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz kinz org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an