Re: [K12OSN] JavaVM using all CPU

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 20:42, Jack wrote:
> My wife has found a game on Yahoo.com called "Bookworm."  She wants her
> students to use it next year.  Since we have a similar LTSP setup at home I
> can see that just with the 2 of us sharing our LTSP 31 server she is using
> 98% of the CPU.   This is with Java1.4.  Is there anyway for me to knock this
> down?  I can always tell when she is playing  because everything gets a bit
> sluggish.  20 students playing at the same time just would not work.
>
> Our server is a 1.4 Athlon with 512mb DDR.  Any suggestions?

[Opinion] Java Sucks. I had the idea for Java, but it was based on an
agreement in silicon...not the changing-every-day software. It's
bloated, slow, and makes the least effecient use of everything.  Even
after all these years, it still remains the only RPM I've never been
able to install. It's stupid...and the only way it's gonna work is to
lock that part into silicon, period.[/Opinion]

Most pointedly: 1/2G is what I would use for one gaming machine. For 20
workstations, I'd seriously breach that 1G barrier if at all possible.
If you can get the Java VM to work at all, figure out how much it
absorbs, and add that much memory...cause you'll want to add SOME
memory, anyway...

ICQ  5119262