[K12OSN] Using Samba for backups and other things

Eric,

Actually, I already use samba to mount shares on all our office machines (My
Documents usually) and then use rsync to back them up on a small Linux box I
put together using a Mini-ITX board (i.e., a homemade SnapServer).  A cron
job backs everyone up each night.  It works like a charm.  It logs all
activities in /var/log/backups.  Naturally, all pcs have to be left on
overnight.

The only downside with the above is that it does not currently provide
incremental backups.  That means if someone messes up a file it will be
added  to the archive as-is.  The only way to prevent that is to turn the pc
off in the evening.  I am not using any ssh tunnelling, so the process is
less than 100% secure, but then our lan is behind a firewall.

On a related samba note:

On our k12ltsp server I managed to setup a cdserver using samba that works
like a charm.  It mounts volumes using automount.  Now we no longer deal
with scratched or damaged cdroms in our Sunday School Department! (We still
buy copies for every pc just to be legal, but they are now sitting safely on
our Christian Ed Director's bookshelf).  We can access them from windows pcs
in the classrooms or thin clients in the library (using wine), but without
sound on the thin clients.  If I could have gotten sound to work on thin
clients, we would not have had to use windows pcs.  Sigh!

Dan

Dr. Daniel Loomis
First Presbyterian Church
El Dorado, AR