Re: [K12OSN] Using Samba for backups and other things

On 12 Jul 2003 19:25:17 -0500, you wrote:

>     Let's think about turning that around a little...it'll allow you to
> turn off the PC's so they can get reset every night and cause less
> problems.  :)

Very good reason to move the shares to a separate server ;-)

>     Make a share on the Linux server, and 'export' it.  At night it can
> be backedup every night, allowing you to save the tapes of the backups
> every night.
>
>     The user's view would be an icon that, when they click on it will
> take them to their own directory which will actually live there, not

Why a separate icon?

Why not just link MyDocuments directly to the server?
Ifs possible to setup that MyDocuments point directly to a
//server/share/dir location. Then the users would not see any
difference :-)

> locally. (This can also be used to keep viruses from wiping out the
> whole thing...allowing harm only to the user's files...something to
> think about.

Yeah, but is there any difference in the chance files beeing deleted
when comparing z:\ to c:\bla\bla\ to MyDocuments - I dout, but have no
facts on hand.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
	Henning