[K12OSN] LDAP vs NIS

Ok....this is a subject line that has flashed on and off from several
different people throughout the years. Now its my turn to carry that
torch. Seems our infrastructure overhaul is finally complete. Now I'm
stuck with working on windows client machines all day 'cause the servers
take care of themselves. I'm having a little trouble adjusting to having
things "just work" in the server room and making headway on the client
side. There's a little demon inside me that sometimes just wants something
to hiccup so I can work on it. Something. Anything. Nope, still stuck
working on client machines all day and that's all there is. I sit at a
windows box and I want to script _everything_. Help me.....I see _shell
scripts_.

All drama aside....:-)

We've got a Mail server and a Samba server. That's the only two things we
need to authenticate to at any given time. I can see using LDAP if you've
got a motherload assortment of different OS's or what not. But with 2
boxes can't I just use NIS? Everyone talks about LDAP but I'm sure NIS has
its place. Is this it? I wanna follow the K.I.S.S strategy here. Heck I'm
just short of setting a cron job to rsync the password files :-)

Ok maybe not really. But I'm looking at NIS seriously right now unless
someone feels the urge to talk me out of it.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+
Network Administrator