Re: [K12OSN] LDAP vs NIS

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 13:55, cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:
> Ok....this is a subject line that has flashed on and off from several
> different people throughout the years. Now its my turn to carry that
> torch. Seems our infrastructure overhaul is finally complete. Now I'm
> stuck with working on windows client machines all day 'cause the servers
> take care of themselves. I'm having a little trouble adjusting to having
> things "just work" in the server room and making headway on the client
> side. There's a little demon inside me that sometimes just wants something
> to hiccup so I can work on it. Something. Anything. Nope, still stuck
> working on client machines all day and that's all there is. I sit at a
> windows box and I want to script _everything_. Help me.....I see _shell
> scripts_.

    Get used to it; welcome to Linux.  Now if you can just get those
little Win9x bastiges rolled-over, you'll be able to get a nap during
the day!  :)

> We've got a Mail server and a Samba server. That's the only two things we
> need to authenticate to at any given time. I can see using LDAP if you've
> got a motherload assortment of different OS's or what not. But with 2
> boxes can't I just use NIS? Everyone talks about LDAP but I'm sure NIS has
> its place. Is this it? I wanna follow the K.I.S.S strategy here. Heck I'm
> just short of setting a cron job to rsync the password files :-)

    I'm not so sure that NIS isn't the right thing to do; LDAP has the
added benefit of being able to let people use a company 'phone book',
but I've found that most people (at least in medium sized companies)
tend to have other ways of doing that, like a lookup on the internal
website.

    Relax; enjoy!  You've done the hard part...now you just have to
endure the long part.  Cheers!

ICQ  5119262