Re: [K12OSN] Using Samba for backups and other things

On 13 Jul 2003 12:47:12 -0500, you wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 05:21, Henning Petersen Wangerin wrote:
>
> > > locally. (This can also be used to keep viruses from wiping out the
> > > whole thing...allowing harm only to the user's files...something to
> > > think about.
> >
> > Yeah, but is there any difference in the chance files beeing deleted
> > when comparing z:\ to c:\bla\bla\ to MyDocuments - I dout, but have no
> > facts on hand.
>
>     Well, what I meant was like we used in Chicago; everyone had
> connection to one "/shares" directory.  Then one guy got a virus, the
> one that wipes out all mp3's everywhere.  Because they were all
> read-only, he lost ALL his mp3's, but the server was saved.

The basis was that everybody had the MyDocuments on their local
drives, and someone gave the possibility to move their data to a eg
Z:-drive, but I don't se any difference between locaating ther
personal data avaliable on MyDocuments directly on a server - each
user with his own login/share. What wouldn't allow the virus to do any
more harm than if it was on their local drives.

- and to make all users have it possible to mount //server/$USER to
Z:\ and point MyDocuments to Z:\ that way you choose your acces
methoide yourself as a user ;-)

>     But work it out any way you like; if each user has their own
> password, (user authentication) that's even better!

Ofcourse - otherwise we're not longer than Win9X regarding
data-security/privacy ;-)

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
	Henning