Re: [K12OSN] LDAP question #1

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:

>Ok. "All authentication objects (users and groups) will be stored on an
>OpenLDAP server, using the base DN: dc=IDEALX,dc=ORG,"
>
>Just like the website..Idealx.org (yeah I figured it out ALL by
>myself....shutup) So do I really have to have something that can resolve
>in DNS? I can't use static nat? Or can I just make something up. Or are
>these just organizational figures?

The "standard" way of setting the root of your directory is to use your
domain name.

You note Idealx's example:

	domain: idealx.org
	basedn: dc=idealx,dc=org

For my server, it is is:

	domain: mesd.k12.or.us
	basedn: dc=mesd,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us

The basic concept, as I understand it, is that 1) domain names are
standardized and LDAP bases are not and 2) if you know a domain name
you should be able to guess their LDAP base.

If my LDAP directory was publically accessible (it is not) and I followed
this standard, you could query my directory at ldap.mesd.k12.or.us with
a base of dc=mesd,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us.

-Eric