Re: [K12OSN] LDAP question #1

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:

>> The "standard" way of setting the root of your directory is to use your
>> domain name.
>>
>> You note Idealx's example:
>>
>> 	domain: idealx.org
>> 	basedn: dc=idealx,dc=org
>>
>So I could do  basedn: dc=redbugs,dc=dsc,dc=k12,dc=ar,dc=us
>
>Although that is the dn of my web server and I'm implementing this on my
>samba server. The two are unrelated right? Only for organizational
>purposes?

You can make your base dn whatever you want: "o=redbugs", "ou=random,c=us",
"c=duh", "cn=etc". Technically speaking, it can be arbitrary.

Having your base match your domain name helps if sometime in the future you
want to start sharing your directory with others.

I think about this EVERY SINGLE TIME I type "dc=mesd,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us" ;-)

-Eric