Re: [K12OSN] rsync K12LTSP against RH9?

--- Eric Harrison <eharrison mail mesd k12 or us> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, John Q Public wrote:
>
> >I though that only the newest part of the iso would be downloaded, not
> >the whole thing.  I confirmed the MD5 fingerprints before starting, and
> >they matched.  What is happening?
> >
> >The third ISO is going at 970+kB/s!  Does that mean it is only
> >comparing and not transferring data?
> >
> >If anyone can be of some assistance to a newbie rsync'er, I'd be
> >grateful!
>
> Rsync only retrieves the differences between the remote and local file.
>
> If a particular set of bits are the same, it uses the local bits rather
> than the remote bits.
>
> If your hard drive is faster than your network connection (don't laugh,
> I have several systems where the network is faster than the drive!), this
> will result in the big speed-ups you are seeing. It also saves the
> bandwidth
> of the site you are syncing to.
>
> Rsync is rather impressive black magic ;-)
>
> -Eric

A friend of mine wanted the standard RH 9 ISOs so I rync'd them from my set
of K12LTSP 3.1.1 CDs.  It was great fun being done with all three discs in
about 5-6 minutes! ~2.5mb/sec or something like that... 8-)

At any rate here's how it was done for those who might be interested:

1. Create .iso files from your CD's to the directory of your choice
1.1 cd /your/iso/dir
1.2 Load the first K12LTSP 3.1.1 CD in the drive
1.3 dd if=/dev/cdrom of=shrike-i386-disc1.iso
1.4 Repeat 1.2 & 1.3 for the remaining CD's
2. Use rync to "convert" your K12LTSP .iso's to standard RH 9 images
2.1  rsync -avP
mirror.mcs.anl.gov::redhat/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-i386-disc?.iso
. (all one line)
2.2 When rsync is done, md5sum * (to make sure everything is just right)
3. Burn .iso's to CD
3.1 cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=16 fs=8m -v -eject shrike-i386-disc1.iso
3.2 For the cdrecord option explanations see the manpage or
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-disks-cdrw.html
3.3 Repeat step 3.1 for each .iso and you're done!

ibiblio.org has a nice selection of rsync distro mirrors.  You can use the
command rsync distro.ibiblio.org::distros to determine what rsync distro
modules are avaialable.  Determine the path under the module and rsync to
your hearts content (i.e. Mandrake 9.1 iso's would be located at rsync
distro.ibiblio.org::distros/mandrake/Mandrake/iso/)

Here's another tip, use CD-RW discs for your .iso burns with the
-blank=fast option so you don't end up with coasters during your next
upgrade.  Nothing earthshattering or new here, but hopefully worth a quick
read at any rate. :-)

HTH in your rsync quest.  rsync is one mighty cool command...

James Jensen