Re: [K12OSN] Where we at with LDAP/Samba?

--- David Trask <dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to admit that I haven't had any time to test Eric's LDAP stuff
> yet,
> but I'm following along closely.  I have a working Samba/LDAP server up
> based on my how-to (http://www.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux), but I really
> want
> to have Samba 3 and the nice nifty config scripts and all that Eric is
> working on.  So....my question is...where are we at now?  What's left to
> be done?
>
> My set up needs....to tie K12LTSP and Windows/MacOS X folks all together
> to one point of authentication and one home directory....(*done) ....to
> have roaming profiles and PDC for Win XP Pro (*done)....needs a mass user
> add script (*done thanks to Barry Smoke...has a little bug, but works).
> Now it all needs to be "prettyfied"....have no desire to do massive
> amounts of editing configs and all....want to be able to "sell" (not for
> $$$) it to other colleagues, but needs more simplicity in set up.  So
> keep
> me posted.
>
> PS....I set one up at my workshop at Southern New Hampshire University
> and
> lo' and behold....it worked!  But I did it the hard way.  But still.....
>
> :-)
>
> David N. Trask
> Technology Teacher/Coordinator
> Vassalboro Community School
> dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us
> (207)923-3100

I would really like to set this up on my upcoming project as well, but with
Samba 3.0 almost (but not quite) ready for production, I am hesitant.  I
know I can do it the "hard way" with all the great docs out there but I am
loathe to do so if next month or so Samba 3 is ready for prime-time.  So
what to do?  Stick with my Samba PDC as is and fight with all the other
items I want to integrate or press forward manually?  :-/

I guess a lot of us are in the same boat, but particularly the K-12 folks
who might want to have LDAP ready to rock before the new school year, eh?

James Jensen