Re: [K12OSN] VIA sound and K12LTSP

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 07:34, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Brad Mills wrote:
> > > I have a thin-client with a VIA motherboard (VIA EPIA-800 Motherboard, VIA
> > > PLE133 Chipset)  with Integrated AC97 audio ....I'm having the VIA sound
> > > problem...you know, the annoying smoke alarm like beep that goes on until
> > > you execute a sound event.  Has anyone found a way around this?
> >
> >  Hmmm, not familiar with that particular mobo, but just in case, possible it's
> > an overheat alarm, as in, sett too low in BIOS, or case fan quit?
> >
> >  just a thought -
> nice thought, wrong, but nice :-)
> the sound problem is real. the noise ends *after* you start any sound
> application. the sound is rather poor under ltsp and excellent with
> windoze. bummer, huh?

The bizarre thing of course, is that it used to work fine under K12LTSP
2.1.1.  Hopefully the soon to be released 2.6 kernel will solve the
problem, although, I'm not convinced it is a kernel problem since the
sound works fine when RH is installed directly on a local hard drive.
Perhaps it has to do with the LTSP sound server?