From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of Robert McDonald
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 1:45 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] OpenOffice in our W2K Lab - installation confusion

try sticking that command in their login scripts.

Im guessing there is one script for all students, or all groups of
users.write
a little bat file that checks if its installed and if not installs it

I cant help you further as im priveleged not to work with any w**dows
machines, and dont know how either.

Cheers,
Rob

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:30, Dan Bentson-Royal wrote:
> I want to include OpenOffice in our business lab (Windows 2000 Pro) as
part
> of a unit the teacher wants to do using OpenSource. I'm glad he is
> interested and I want to help but there is a difficulty I don't know how
> solve.
>
> Apparently, for W2K, a portion of OpenOffice needs to be installed
uniquely
> for each user. So far as I can tell, there is no way to install it for
> everyone like many other apps. According to what I've read, for each and
> every new user, they will have to:
>       -open a command line and run setup.exe with a the "-net" switch
added
>       -once the installer begins, they'll need to change the workstation's
> default directory to the user's "My Documents" folder.
>
> This isn't an issue if the machine is used by just one user - but with
> multiple users, they each need to have an instance of some of the files
> (not the whole thing thanfully!).
>
> Is there a way to automate that? Or is there something else that could be
> done? If I can't solve this, I don't think it's going to be very feasible
> to do in our lab... and I'd really like to expose the kids to OSS for
> productivity tools! Someone MUST have come across this and solved it,
> right? Is there a trick out there I need to learn? Your help or advice is
> appreciated!
>
> Dan Bentson-Royal
> La Center Schools

Robert McDonald