Re: [K12OSN] Samba 3.0+ldap/adding users

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Barry Smoke wrote:

>I decided to break this down into smaller topics.
>sorry for the double posts...
>
>We are testing out samba 3.0, and I have configured our test server with
>authconfig, pointing to our ldap server for auth.
>I have samba authenticating users via ldap, not using the compat passdb
>backend, but using ldapsam
>now from what I can tell, if I am using ldapsam, then smbpasswd -a will
>require a unix account, but if I am using passdb backend = ldapsam_nua
>then it should not require a unix account, in order to add it to the system
<snip>

I'm still grinding away on other projects, but I managed to get in a
little bit of work with samba 3.0 today.

I've been dumping my documentation and packages here:

  ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/donotuse/3.0/

The README lists the steps that work for me.

There are a number of rough edges and few nicities missing, but I see
the light at the end of the tunnel... which is a good thing since I want
to start my samba 2.2 -> 3.0 conversion by Friday ;-)

The ldap-scripts package has a couple of scripts that add/delete/modify
users and groups located in /usr/share/ldap-config/. They are named
luseradd, luserdel, etc and behave like useradd, userdel, etc.

-Eric