[K12OSN] Samba, LDAP, and Netatalk

The recent list activity regarding the first two in my subject has me wondering...

As per my last lengthy email to the list about my "free reign" with linux as our servers... Is there any *reason* for me to start with Samba 3.0? If 2.2 works well, it has been well tested, and I don't think I should jump on the 3.0 bandwagon.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are there gotchas with 2.2, like folks not being able to change their passwords? (Haven't figured out how I plan to manage that yet)

Thank you for any more advice,
-Shawn