Re: [K12OSN] Bang For The Buck

Oh, please. My home ltsp system uses a Pentium-200 with 128MB RAM for the server. I run three clients on it over shared coax (10Base-2). Total investment: $0. We use IceWM, no Nautilus, and the performance is quite acceptable. And the clients still boot faster across the network than from their local hard disks. So, declaring the Via inadequate to power terminals seems...premature, especially if he's already got six clients working satisfactorily.

Mind you, faster hardware and more memory in the server will make the users' experience snappier and more scalable. And I agree that if he wants to support 10 clients he should try to have at least 1GB of memory in the server. But let's not lose sight of the fact that even with 'really old' hardware, ltsp can make computing available to several people in a comfortable way. I like to think of it as akin to those rather successful $200 micro-loan programs the UN has in developing countries.

</soapbox> ;-)

Petre

cwagnon redbugmail k12 ar us wrote:
Our server is a 700Mhz Via CPU w/512meg of RAM and an 18Gig Hard Drive.
(This is all out of MY pocket!) The rest of our network consists of:

My GAWD man. The first thing I would do would be to take that VIA and step
on it. Those things can't power one machine effieciently let alone
terminals.