[K12OSN] Re: Bang For The Buck

Hi Ken,

I suggest one single "big" system to ease maintenance.

I'd recommend an Intel 865 chipset MB since they have 4 DIMM slots for RAM.
You can initially install 1GB (2 x 512MB) and have the option of adding an
additional 1-2 GB later.

Tom's Hardware guide recently recommended the MSI Neo 2
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030707/i875p-70.html and it costs
about $100 USD.  You'll need a video card and an additional NIC to get
things going.

For RAM, I'd buy from www.crucial.com the slightly more expensive PC3200
since you can use it for an 800MHz CPU (later). ( 2 x 512MB =~ $180)

For a CPU, I'd buy something like a P4 Celeron 2.0 GHz CPU (about $80).

In a year or so, the system can be upgraded to add an addition 1-2GB of RAM
($150-$400 in a year) and a 3+GHz P4 800FSB CPU ( under $200 in a year ).

Hopefully you can re-use the HD/floppy/CD/case/PSU from your VIA system.

One thing to keep in mind is that for more than ~10 users, the IDE drive may
be getting over-worked and cause slow performance.

Hope this helps.
Dale