Re: [K12OSN] Windows 2000 Server to Linux Migration

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 02:31, cliebow downeast net wrote:
> fairly trivial to download the ldap-enabled samba for redhat 9.slap is already
> on the distro. Chuck David Trask has url or i could look it up..Sorry esmith
> doesn't do much for me.

The place e-smith is really great is when you want someone else to
install and manage it themselves.  If someone has a PC with 2 NICs
and an internet connection you can send them an e-smith CD and
spend about 10 minutes on the phone with them and everything will
just work including fairly safe firewalling.  Also, setting up
software mirrored raid is a simple yes/no queston.

LDAP support isn't that simple. E-smith itself sets up an LDAP
server that is OK for an address book but it doesn't put passwords
there and doesn't use it for authentication.  I'd like to see it
build the right schema for both email and samba authentication and
have the option to use a different server as the master.  If this
worked you could use the features you want and run nfs/X services
elsewhere without extra trouble.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com