[K12OSN] no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Hello all,

 Having a blast with this K12LTSP! My hat is off to JAM, and the folks who have
created this baby.

 Ok, trying to learn a couple things.

 Looking thru the contribs on the ltsp site, I spied an entry about
"metermaid". Seemed like a good one to cut my teeth on, downloaded, but went to
do the compile, and rx'd this message:

[root ltsp metermaid-0.2.1]# ls
aclocal.m4  config.cache  configure.in  Makefile.am     missing        NEWS
AUTHORS     config.log    COPYING       Makefile.in     mkinstalldirs  README
ChangeLog   config.sub    INSTALL       metermaid.h     mmadmin.c
confdefs.h  configure     install-sh    metermaid.html  mmuser.c

[root ltsp metermaid-0.2.1]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
[root ltsp metermaid-0.2.1]#

 I'll ass|u|me  'gcc' or 'cc' is a compiler? that's needed. Where would one go
from here? Or is this a dodgy program, best to avoid? My goal is to configure
and learn various apps that appear useful, and be able to teach others this,
locally. If it's a matter of STFW and find it, no problem. Thought to ask
better brains ;)

 TIA,
 /b